Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Paris!

Today, (Tuesday) I took the Chunnel from St Pancras station in London. I believe it's the train station Harry potter used to go to Hogwarts. I saw some owls flying above. 

The Eurostar high speed train was nice and the ride easy. I lost an hour, as France is an hr ahead of the UK. But the weather looks pretty great so I'm wearing shorts in sunny 84 degree weather with no clue about the language. 

My attic room where I'm staying, has a nice deck. 

I rested On the deck waiting for  Federico, the generous friend that's hosting me, to come home from work and go to dinner with. 

After a walk around the neighborhood, which Federico describes as hipster trendy, the Northern Liberties of Paris, he took me to a traditional bistro that he really likes. Astier. 

I can't remember what this is exactly but it was translated by our server as "young pig, roasted with potatoes, onions and lettuce. It was very savory and good though, I was saving myself for the cheese course!

Federico with fromage. 

The cheese selection was incredible and we were given ample time with it before our waitress returned to bring it to the next table. I grabbed a bunch of each delicious cheese- going back for seconds of the blue before she wrenched  the board from my knife's reach. 

Of course we had to have a traditional dessert too. So we opted to split  something called Le baba.... Something.
I'm not at all a French speaker so I'm lost  with accurate words. I'm really good at pointing at things with a respectful helpless look on my face though. 

The waitress brought this light fluffy cake, cut it in half and proceeded to generously pour rum onto it. 
It had a hint if almond flavor. We ate it with creme fresh and big smiles. 

Not bad for my first night. 

Oh, and the weather is awesome ;)




1 comment:

  1. Any chance there was a slight almond flavor to that cake? It looks really similar to one that my grandmother makes.

    ReplyDelete